How to Stifen Flexible Conector
When installing large size flexible connectors in a duct system, some type of stiffening agent is usually required to keep the unit relatively rigid. Some contractors use angle iron, while in many cases a bar slip connection is used to achieve this result. Now it is possible to save valuable time and material by forming Duro Dyne's Grip Loc Seam found on Metal Fab and Super Metal Fab, to rigidize the connector over long sections. This simple method of stiffening the sides of Duro Dyne Flexible Connector can eliminate the costly addition of angle iron used to perform this job. Here is how it is done:
1. Lay out Connector as you normally do.
2. Bend the Grip Loc seam up to 90° on abrake as indicated in the drawing.
3. Using a heavy snips, notch the seam at the bend points.
4. Bend to form a completed connector.
Note: The stiffening method illustrated here is recommended only with Duro Dyne Grip Loc Connector.
How to Seam Flexible Connector
Here is how we suggest the ends of Connector be prepared for making a joint.
TO DO THIS:
1. Cut through center of the lock as indicated. Cut 1" to 1-1/2" deep to allow sufficient lap.
2. From the edge of the connector, cut away metal as indicated. The metal falls away exposing the fabric ready for seaming.
3. You have two options to finish your joint.
B. Duro Stapler with Quad Seal
3A. Apply one or two lines of FCA, sparingly, on the fabric, under the tongue. Press the tongue down on the adhesive. Rub the seam gently and hold it for 10 seconds. FCA can be used with Excelon, Neoprene, Durolon and Glasseal.
3B. Put a liberal amount of Quad Seal between the two fabric flaps and press the two pieces together to allow the Quad Seal to spread. Roll the flap ends together and staple the seal (going through both pieces of fabric and the Quad Seal). Allow a minimum of 24 hours curing time before flexing the connection. Quadseal can be used with Excelon, Neoprene,Durolon, Thermafab and Glasseal.
4. For an airtight connection, apply duct sealer over the metal joint. Refer to Duro Dyne's Adhesive Duct Sealer Catalog for further information on a suitable Duct Sealer.